Gaming Immersion: Observing gamers' interaction with environments and equipment while playing
Video game usage and enjoyment is highly dependent on individual's environmental factors, and traditional research methods make it challenging for developers to replicate that environment effectively.
- Wide demographic range of gamers
- Equipment issues
- What are the frustrations, distractions and diversions happening with the technology
- Exposure to the confounding variables of use, such as time, place and the presence of others (human or otherwise).
- Gaming rituals
- Post-use satisfaction, or lack of it.
Observing behaviour in the moment is key. You can do this using a split-screen methodology with an overlay of post-rationalised self-commentary. Recordings can begin before use and continue after use.
We endeavored to observe how players of different age groups played and interacted with games in their typical gaming environment (typical sample size n=10). By observing what delights them and what frustrates them, customers can feed this into hardware and software development.
Using our split-screen/post-rationalising overlay methodology, we watched them as they played and reported back on their experience.
What we explored
- What is their typical gaming regimen, and what is their space like?
- Equipment they currently use to heighten their gaming experience, and equipment on their "wish list"
- Understand their frame of mind as they observe themselves playing - highs and lows
- How does snacking play a role?
- What could be improved about their gaming experience?
Why Watch Me Think?
Watch Me Think is a strategic qualitative market research agency. We use mobile ethnography to record authentic customer and consumer behaviours.
Human led analysis is then applied to bring you actionable reports and persuasive highlight videos.
We help you bridge empathy gaps, become even more consumer centric, identify previously unknown opportunities, test your prototypes, and provide rapid, value-driven pre- and post-launch testing across 51 countries. In essence, we help people understand people better.
- We're about watching and listening, not just asking
- Exploring what people do, not just what they say they do
- Bringing to life your consumers, getting you closer.
- Helping you to empathise, and instil that throughout your organization
What types of studies do our clients commission with us?
- Qualitative Behavioural Research: Bringing a clearer understanding of actual consumer behaviour. Not just claimed behaviour.
- Consumer Closeness: Moving it from slogan and into a culture.
- Bringing Insights To Life: Letting the consumer communicate the findings. Because insights must be sold, not just found.
How we helped Sarah Haslett at M&S
M&S (a UK retailer of clothes and food) wanted to make consumer closeness part of the business culture.
To do so, they decided to implement a continuous consumer closeness programme, whereby they collected video footage every month on different topics.