Vaping: Understanding usage occasions and consumer perceptions of innovation
Understanding usage occasions and consumer perceptions of innovation.
Our clients in the vaping industry have experienced rapid growth in their product category, and staying on top of competitive innovations, and how consumers are reacting to them has become increasingly difficult. Understanding consumer drivers when it comes to choosing a device, and how and when the vaping occasions are occurring is extremely important.
Frequent needs that our vape clients come to us with are:
- Understanding path to purchase - what factors are driving consumers the most when choosing a new device?
- Assessing reactions to new product launches - either their own, or competitors
- Observing product set up - what works well, and what can be improved?
- Insight into how environmental factors affect product experience
Observing respondents unboxing, setting up, and experiencing a product for the first time, in their own environment, allows manufacturers to understand which features of a product design are easy for first time users to understand, and what can be improved.
Our Recommended Approach
Depending on the purpose of the study, we may recommend observing multiple usage occasions, in addition to setup/first time usage, over a period of time (typical minimum sample size, n= 10). We would recruit vape users according to demographic specifications, have them film themselves unboxing, setting up and using for the first time while answering questions and sharing their observations with us, helping brands understand in-context usage of their products, or competitors’ products.
What we explored
- Prior to unboxing/setting up the product, we understand more about the respondent, their vaping history and usage habits.
- Respondents explained what is important to them when choosing a vape brand, and what they like about their current device.
- Observation of respondents while they unbox and set up for the first time, and provide feedback on the usage occasion.
Why Watch Me Think?
Watch Me Think is a strategic qualitative market research agency. We use mobile ethnography to record authentic customer and consumer behaviors.
Human led analysis is then applied to bring you actionable reports and persuasive highlight videos.
We help you bridge empathy gaps, become even more consumer centric, identify previously unknown opportunities, test your prototypes, and provide rapid, value-driven pre- and post-launch testing across 51 countries. In essence, we help people understand people better.
- We're about watching and listening, not just asking
- Exploring what people do, not just what they say they do
- Bringing to life your consumers, getting you closer
- Helping you to empathise, and instil that throughout your organization
What types of studies do our clients commission with us?
- Qualitative Behavioral Research: Bringing a clearer understanding of actual consumer behavior. Not just claimed behavior.
- Consumer Closeness: Moving it from slogan and into a culture.
- Bringing Insights To Life: Letting the consumer communicate the findings. Because insights must be sold, not just found.
How we helped Sarah Haslett at M&S
M&S (a UK retailer of clothes and food) wanted to make consumer closeness part of the business culture.
To do so, they decided to implement a continuous consumer closeness programme, whereby they collected video footage every month on different topics.